Filed under Opinion, Showcase

Tuition, You Mean Debt?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Tuition, You Mean Debt?

As students go through the motions of high school, a major, blatant stress factor is impending college and adult life. More specifically, tuition, scholarships, grants, loans, and debt. More generally, money. Although dealing with money is something everybody has to learn, college tuition places unrealistic prices on their education, something that once was promised to be affordable, is now something that promises to leave a person in debt for the rest of their life.

Picture this, a student fresh out of high school with fairly good grades has everything but money, because of this, the student does not pursue a higher education, rendering the 12 years of education before that practically useless if aiming for a stable and good paying job. It is a vicious cycle of needing money to get experience, needing experience to get a job, and needing a job to get money.

A famous face currently, Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos, appointed by Donald Trump, is a prime example of what rich minds have planned for our almost guaranteed educational crumble. Perceived as one not in favor of free college tuition by USAToday, the struggle to achieve college and career goals is getting further and further out of reach, resulting in what may be a major decline in jobs and innovation for the future.

According to debt.org, the national debt for students loans is a whopping 1.2 trillion dollars as of 2014, and it is only getting higher. On average, college tuition ranges from 10,000 to 40,000 dollars as calculated by collegedata.com.

So how is this a problem for the financially fortunate of the crowd? Simply put, it’s not a problem. The fact that you can only pursue education based on how much your parents get or how much you “qualify” as a student is a ludicrous system. As the old saying goes, “Money isn’t everything.” But when your education and career are based on how much money you can output, the hypocrisy seeps out of that statement.

One or two solutions can be looked at by the Department of Education when reconsidering college tuition. And that is either A, make college free. Or B, lessen the tuition gradually. These methods can prove to be advantageous when preparing for future generations heightening their education and getting jobs that pay off in the end. Afterall, valuing money over a young adult’s success seems a bit sadistic, don’t you think?