Filed under Opinion, Showcase

The Five Mental Stages of Attending Summer School

An empty classroom to represent all the students who did not have to attend summer school.

Olivia Owens

Olivia Owens

The dread you feel when you get the news of summer being canceled due to an unfortunate F you received will boil your blood.

Its nothing new to feel this way. A few weeks taken from an eventful summer you aren’t going to have will be alright when you sit back and actually think how easy it will be to pass.

Coming from a Senior who failed her 2nd semester math class freshman year, I can educate you on all the ways you can survive this years draining summer school.

• Denial : When you are first presented with this saddening news, you wont you believe it. It’ll all seem too bizarre and for a few days, you wont act upon this $10 dollar fee.
  • Anger : After the beloved denial phase you will be angry at literally EVERYTHING. Angry at your teachers for setting you up for failure. Angry at your friends for being enablers. Angry at your parents for not fixing this problem. Angry at yourself, for accepting the naps you think you deserve.
  • Bargaining : You will get to the point where you start begging the educator to round up that 17% to a 117% . You might actually throw money on the table, and they’ll take it, but they wont bump up that grade.
  • Depression : This is the stage you go through when you start showing up to class, completely mute. Shocked. Belittled, Betrayed. Alone.
  • Acceptance : When I say acceptance, that’s exactly what I mean. Summer school is only a few weeks long, but the modules you need to complete take approximately 3 days.  It will always start with tears. Always. And it will also end with tears, but thats the great part. You need to realize how bad you messed up, to get  your life together the next time around, because as much as they tell you senior year will be all figured out. They lied. And no, it’s not ideal to take summer school after senior year. Any year for that matter.

In all reality, summer school blows, but putting it off until further notice, will only make the problem multiply. Moral of the this horror story, get it done.

Fun fact: If you finish making up everything before summer school is over, you wont have to go anymore.