Filed under Opinion, Showcase

Journalism 2017, Goodbye

Megan Green, Olivia Owens, Ariel Chambers, Kenneth Mcguire, Anthony Nunez, Eric Patten, Ana Martinez, and America Peredo

DC Headley

DC Headley

jour·nal·ism

ˈjərnlˌizəm/

noun

1. the activity or profession of writing for newspapers, magazines, or news websites or preparing news to be broadcast.

Journalism Class. What is it even? What are journalists? Who are we? What have we done this year?

A journalist’s task is to seek the truth and expose it. It is a tough process that takes a fearless heart and a determined mind. A true journalist will complete these tasks with grace and meaning, never giving up the fight to inform readers on impactful happenings. Society would be far less informed about politics, events, entertainment, and everything in between, without the press.

Because of this, the recent backlash on the press is at an all time high. Claims of falsifying information and being too explicit have been accumulating for the press. However, the first amendment guarantees freedom of the press, giving press the right to carry out their job thoroughly, without censorship.  But a true journalist would in no way abuse the power given to them. In this way, a journalist’s job is just as important, if not more so, than any other.

A year ago, having journalism class at Yuma High was out of the question. No one could expect much of a journalism class in its first year anyways, right? What could a measly original eight students do to impact a school community?

However, as Editor-in-Chief of the Criminal Record, I couldn’t be prouder of the class and its progress throughout the year. In just one year, we were able to attend a NBA game as official press in Phoenix. In half a year, we were able to get an early grasp on photography, interviews, ethics, ledes and feature writing. In half a year, we were able to establish editors and launch an official website. In one year, we were able to build a club worth being a part of.

I will never forget each individual member in our class that shaped our online news.

Jared Arellano, fresh meat. A staff writer with amazing tenacity and drive.

Ana Martinez. A staff writer who knows her way around debatable topics and always has the best featured photos in hand.

Vincent Ramos. A staff writer who provides top notch comic relief during a busy class period, while struggling along with the rest of us.

Kenneth McGuire, Sports/News Editor. A dedicated student who juggles having good grades and having to post and edit regularly without breaking a sweat.

Anthony Nunez, Associate Editor-in-Chief. Every club member’s right-hand man in tough situations who is sure to come up with highly viewable content for years to come.

Olivia Owens, Arts/Opinion Editor. A journalist with a not-so-typical edge and wit who has no fear in voicing her opinion eloquently.

Owens and I, both seniors, are graduating. We couldn’t be happier that we spent the first as well as our last year of high school in journalism. As a matter of fact, without her convincing me to join the class, I wouldn’t even be here typing this article at all.

And last but not least, Eric Patten, teacher, club adviser, influential leader and former journalist. Always dedicating himself to any task assigned and always making time to connect with each individual member. Making each student improve on their strengths and weaknesses and always open to whatever wacky idea us members come up with. What would we be without him? I speak for all of journalism class when I say that no teacher is better suited for his job than he is. And I speak for all of journalism class when I say the members couldn’t thank him enough for his teachings. For his first year, Patten has already made his mark on student’s lives, to say the least.

However, all good things come to an end. What I mean by that is the end of the year. Being an original member of the journalism program has been an unforgettable experience for those who participated. Going through the struggles of meeting deadlines, conducting interviews and getting information is what we put our blood, sweat and tears into. Being able to connect with our audience and providing worthy material almost daily is what we had striven for. We couldn’t have done it without each other and we couldn’t have done it without you, the readers. So, thank you.

Thank you principals, Faith Klostreich and Brett Surguine for making time for our countless interviews.

Thank you secretaries, Teresa Bulow and Marisol Moreno for setting up said interviews.

Thank you teachers, for your feedback and consistent reads.

Thank you alumni, for always giving something to look back on.

Thank you readers, for making our efforts worth it. We hope you stay reading for the thousands and thousands of sentences to come.